Several days ago, we ran into Robert–somewhere between Portland and Hood River. He’s a Scotsman who’s been living in London for the last 6 years. He quit his job as a patent attorney so he could ride his Surly Long Haul Trucker from Seaside Oregon to Virginia. We’ve enjoyed his company thoroughly, especially our hours long conversation about best films:
- best Bond movie: Robert says Golden Eye, and I say Casino Royal
- Best war film: Robert says Platoon, and I say Apocalypse Now
- best Nick Cage film: Robert says Con Air, and I say Leaving Las Vegas
- best film of all time: Robert says Star Wars: A New Hope, and I say Apocalypse Now
- best comedy: Robert says Ace Ventura, and I say Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
- best action film: Robert says Terminator 2, and I have to agree
We discuss other topics too, and I greatly value Robert’s take on topics such as Brexit, Scottish independence, and the Trump era. Funny that a great way to meet a Scotsman is to ride your bike through eastern Oregon.